|Coconut Cream Pie Made With Half & Half |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 240 mins
Total time: 4 hours 20 mins
Coconut Cream Pie with Half & Half
- 9 inch pie crust, baked
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups half & half
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1 pinch of salt -- slightly bigger pinch if using unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon good quality coconut extract
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract**
- In a heavy saucepan off heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks.
- Gradually whisk in the half & half, then put the pan over medium heat. Continue whisking until mixture starts to boil, then continue whisking as it boils for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter, salt, both extracts and the coconut. Put in a bowl, press a piece of greased wax or parchment paper over to keep skin from forming and let cool to room temperature. When cool, transfer to your baked pie shell and chill.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form, then add powdered sugar and beat until stiff. Beat in vanilla. Pipe or spread over the pie.
- If you have some additional coconut, toast it in a dry skillet, let cool and sprinkle over the top for garnish.
This pie was adapted from Crisco's collection. I usually use their basic pie crust recipe as well, or make a butter crust -- whatever I'm in the mood for.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2014/01/coconut-cream-pie-made-with-half-half/