|Kalches or Pudding Mix Kolaches |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 120 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 2 hours 15 mins
“KALCHES” aka Kolaches -- an heirloom kolache recipe that calls for pudding.
- 1 4-oz package vanilla pudding or 1 3-oz box and 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter, I used unsalted
- 2 envelopes yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 to 5 1/2 cups flour, I used bread flour
- Make cooked pudding according to package directions using 1 1/2 cups milk. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and stir into pudding. Beat in eggs and salt. Add enough flour to make moderately soft dough.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead 5 to 10 minutes, then place in greased bowl, turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in warm place until double. Punch down.
- Form dough balls the size of a walnut and arrange on greased cookie sheet 1 ½ inches apart. Punch down center of dough ball and fill hollow with cherry pie filling. Let rise until almost double.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
I wasn't able to find a 4 oz box of boxed cook and serve pudding, so I used a 4 serving size box (3 oz) and added 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2014/01/kolaches-made-with-pudding-mix/