Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 55 mins
A marbled chocolate and vanilla Bundt cake baked in a 6 inch or 6 cup capacity Bundt pan.
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons Dutch Process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (5 ounces or 140 grams)**
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or Butternut Extract
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 ounce of chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk or as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 6 inch Bundt pan.
- Combine the instant coffee and boiling water in a glass measuring cup. Add the Dutch process cocoa powder and stir until smooth.
- Weigh the flour into a bowl making sure you have 140 grams (5 oz) or carefully measure after you’ve sifted. This is important. Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt and set aside.
- With a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg whites until very foamy. Gradually add 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with the electric mixer until creamy. Beat in the remaining ½ cup and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar until fluffy and light. Beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the egg yolks.
- By hand, stir in the flour mixture and milk, alternately, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Measure out 1 cup or weigh out 8 oz of batter and place in a separate bowl. Stir in the cocoa mixture.
- Stir the almond or butternut extract into the remaining vanilla mixture.
- With a rubber spatula or scraper, fold half of the egg whites into the vanilla mixture. Fold the remaining egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Now spoon the batter into the pan to make your pattern. Space about 4 tablespoons of chocolate batter around the bottom of the pan. Fill in the spaces with teaspoons of white batter. Repeat, but this time put tablespoons of white batter in the pan and fill the spaces with 5 teaspoons of chocolate batter. Repeat this pattern until you’ve used all the batter.
- Bake for about 38-40minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn from pan and let cool completely.
- In a 2 cup glass measure, melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Stir until smooth, then stir in powdered sugar until pasty. Add vanilla and milk until icing is thin and smooth enough to drizzle. Spoon over the cooled cake.
If you double it and make it in a 9 inch Bundt pan, it might take up to an hour. If you double it and make it in a 10 inch Bundt pan, it will probably take 40 to 45 minutes.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2014/01/marbled-mini-bundt-pan/