|Frosted Cupcake Top Cookies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Cakey, fat cake mix cookies topped with homemade chocolate frosting.
- 1 box (15.25 oz) chocolate cake mix (see note)
- 1 cup sour cream, regular
- 4 eggs
- 1 (4 serving size) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 stick (4 oz) softened butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup natural cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream -- more if desired
- 4 to 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Milk as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line two to four baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, sour cream, eggs, oil, and water and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a generously heaping tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets. Bake two sheets at a time, switching racks halfway through, for about 15 minutes or until cakes appear done (they should spring back like cupcakes).
- Let cool for about 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare frosting. With an electric mixer, beat the butter until soft. Add the sugar and stir until it is moistened by butter. Stir in the cocoa, sour cream and 2 tablespoons of the cream. Mix on low, then increase speed and beat until creamy. Beat in remaining cream and vanilla. Add milk a few teaspoons at a time until you reach the consistency you like. Spread over cookies.
- Now this is the hard step. Leave the cookies alone for two hours. Just let them sit on the counter. You can skip this part if necessary, but I really thought they tasted better after they'd sat around for a bit.
I used Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Cake Mix. Any brand should work, but I'm pointing it out in case you want to use the same brand as I did.
If you have a scale, you can weigh out the ingredients and make a half batch of 12.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2014/01/frosted-cupcake-top-cookies/