|Salted Caramel Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 22 mins
Salted Caramel Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 stick Crisco® (3/4 cup or 144 grams if you weight it), I used regular
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar (245 grams)
- 2 tablespoons milk (whole)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Jif® Salted Caramel Flavored Hazelnut Spread
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (8 oz or 224 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I probably used more)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts or toasted walnuts (I used walnuts)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. and have ready two foil lined or ungreased baking sheets.
- Combine shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Beat in egg and chocolate hazelnut flavored spread (I did this all with a spoon -- no mixer).
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into shortening mixture until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet on a cooling rack. Remove cookies to rack to cool completely. I made my cookies a bit larger so they took at least 12 minutes and I did not get nearly 48.
To make as bar cookies, preheat oven to 375ºF. Follow recipe above to prepare dough. Spray a 13 x 9-inch pan with no-stick cooking spray. Spread dough evenly in pan. Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and center feels slightly firm to the touch. Cool completely before cutting into bars. Make a chocolate drizzle -- place 3/4 cup semi-sweet chips with 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening in a resealable plastic bag; seal. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute; knead bag. Continue in 10 seconds intervals, if necessary, until melted. Clip off corner of bag. Drizzle chocolate over cooled cookies or bars.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2014/02/salted-caramel-hazelnut-chocolate-chip-cookies/