Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Great Granola lives up to its name if you're a fan of granola made with wheat germ.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch cinnamon (optional)
- 2/3 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon water (plus a little extra if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan (metal).
- Mix oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt together in a big bowl. Stir in the pecans.
- Combine syrup, oil and water in a microwave-safe glass measuring cup. Microwave for about 1 minute or until mixture boils. Stir in the vanilla, then pour over oat mixture and stir very well. Mixture should seem slightly moist and you should be able to form clumps by pressing it together with your fingers. If it is too dry to do this, add a little more water (I didn’t need to).
- Transfer the oat mixture to the baking pan and using your fingers, squeeze together as many clumps/clusters as you like.
- Bake the granola for about 45-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to avoid burning. It should be golden and should not smell burnt (timing granola is kind of an art) Granola will come out of the oven kind of soft, but will crisp as it cools.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/09/great-granola/