Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
A very simple and moist red velvet cake. Great for beginners.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, not dark
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon red gel paste food color or 1 ounce of red color
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Icing
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and two 9 inch round pans with parchment or line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa. You want to remove any lumps, because this batter just gets stirred rather than beaten. Stir in the sugar.
- In a second bowl, mix the buttermilk, oil, and eggs with a handheld or stand mixer until well mixed. Stir in the food coloring, vinegar and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly and mix until fully incorporated. Don’t over-beat or you’ll risk toughening up the gluten in the flour.
- Split batter between the pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cakes spring back when touched. If baking cupcakes, start checking for doneness at 20 minutes. Allow to
- cool in the pan. Once cool, turn cake out of pan. Slice off any rounded top to level the 9. cakes.
- Have cream cheese and butter at room temperature. With paddle attachment of a stand mixer or hand
- mixer, mix butter and cream cheese together. Slowly add confectioners; sugar. Add vanilla last and mix until fluffy.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2009/02/red-velvet-cake/