|Crunchy Hearty Oatmeal Cookies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 11 mins
Total time: 21 mins
A crispy oatmeal cookie with an unusual texture
- 1 cup all purpose flour (4.5 oz/ 126 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening (trans fat free) (64 grams)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly browned if desired
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoon molasses, corn syrup, maple syrup or some other syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups oats, old fashioned
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded sweetened or unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; Set aside.
- Cream shortening, butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl using high speed of an electric mixer; Stir in honey, syrup, egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Stir in oats, pecans and coconut.
- Using wet hands, form mixture into 3/4 to 1 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Using palm of wet hand, press down slightly to about ½ inch.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until edges are brown; Cool for about 3 minutes on cookie sheets then transfer to a wire rack to cool. They will crisp and firm up quite a bit as they cool.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2009/01/crunchy-hearty-oatmeal-cookies-2/