|Brownies with Toasted Ancho |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Brownies flavored with toasted ancho chili pepper.
- 1 stick (114 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces (56 grams) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (84 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/8 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1 1/8 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 2/3 (more if desired) dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch metal pan with nonstick foil.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the top of a double boiler or melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric handheld mixer, beat the eggs until fluffy. Gradually beat in the sugar in 3 parts until mixture is pale and thick, then beat in vanilla.
- With a heavy duty scraper, stir the melted chocolate mixture into the eggs.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and ancho powder and stir into batter until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into pan and bake brownies on center rack for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let brownies cool for several hours, then lift from pan and cut into squares.
There are many ways to toast anchos. My method is to remove the stem and seeds, break the pepper into pieces and toast the pieces in a dry skillet. When toasted, I then grind the pepper in an old coffee grinder. This freshly ground pepper is coarser than packaged ancho powder, so if you use this method I recommend using 2-3 teaspoons as opposed to 1 1/4.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2009/05/ancho-brownies/