Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
An easy chocolate cake recipe that can be baked in ice cream cones. Batter does not contain eggs.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour – 6.75 oz/185 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (192 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (5 ml)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (120 ml)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (7 ml)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (15 ml)
- 1 cup warm coffee (or water) (240 ml)
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- Milk as needed (or coffee)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Wrap a small square of foil around 18 flat bottom ice creams (you can skip the foil, but it does help prevent leakage) or just line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder together in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and add the oil, vanilla and cider vinegar. Stir until moistened, then pour coffee over the batter and stir until well mixed – batter will have some lumps. Fill cones (or cups) 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until cakes test done. Let cool and prepare frosting.
- Frosting: Melt the chocolate in microwave or in bowl set over barely simmering water. Let it cool slightly. Beat the butter and powdered sugar until creamy. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate. Add milk or coffee as needed and keep beating until creamy and smooth.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2009/06/ice-cream-cone-cupcakes/