Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Hershey's Deep Dish Brownies
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 oz /170 grams) melted butter
- 1-1/2 cups (10.5 oz/294 grams) granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (7 ml)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (3.4 oz/95 grams)
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S cocoa (40 grams) – I used natural style
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (2 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (use a scant teaspoon if using unsalted butter or butter sticks)**
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176 C). Line an 8 inch square metal pan with foil and grease only the bottom. I like the method of greasing only the bottom of brownie pans because the brownies seem to stick to the sides and bake up more evenly rather than pull away. Hershey says to grease the whole pan.
- Combine melted butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl. Add eggs; beat well with spoon. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating gently until well mixed – don’t overbeat or the brownies won’t be as tender. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until brownies appear set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. About 16 brownies.
**This recipe was developed with salted butter or margarine. I used unsalted butter and a scant 1 teaspoon of Morton Kosher salt. The brownies had a salty edge but tasted great.
Note: My friend used to live in Mexico and when she baked the brownies there, they always sank in the middle. When she moved back to Texas the recipe worked just fine, so if you are at a high altitude, make sure to adjust accordingly
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2009/06/deep-dish-brownies/