Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 16 mins
Total time: 26 mins
Rich, brownie-like, chocolate scones.
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped (114 grams)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (130 grams)
- 1 cup cake flour (114 grams)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (126 grams)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (20 grams)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (15 ml)
- 3/8 teaspoon salt (1.5 ml)
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced (100 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons molasses (30 ml) -- golden syrup or corn syrup might work too
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 ml)
- 3.5 oz semi- or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped or 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Sugar for sprinkling (nuts would be good too)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Melt the 4 oz unsweetened chocolate in microwave or in a small bowl set over barely simmering water; set aside.
- Combine both flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in bowl of food processor Pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse until mixture is a coarse meal. Dump into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk 1/3 cup of the cream, molasses, egg, and vanilla together in another bowl. Pour over the flour mixture. Pour the melted chocolate over the egg mixture, then mix until everything starts to come together – there will be flecks of unmixed flour mixture here and there, but don’t overwork the dough by trying to mix them in. At this point, mix in the bittersweet chocolate
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured or parchment lined surface and divide in half. Shape each half into a 5 inch 1 ½ inch thick square. Cut each square into four triangles. Carefully move the triangles to the baking sheet, setting them at least an inch apart. Brush with reserved whipping cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Cool at least 3 minutes on the baking sheet and then cool 3-4 minutes on a rack.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2009/06/chocolate-brownie-scones/