|Glazed Strawberry Pie with Cream Cheese |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 240 mins
Total time: 4 hours 15 mins
Pie made with fresh strawberries and a layer of cream cheese
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar plus 1 tablespoons sugar (divided use)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pie shell, baked and cooled
- 5 cups strawberries, whole
- Whisk 3/4 cup of the sugar, cornstarch and water together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Remove from heat and add gelatin. Whisk until dissolved. Let stand for about 20 minutes at room temperature. Whisk in the lemon juice
- While syrup stands, beat the remaining tablespoon of sugar with cream cheese and vanilla. Spread the cream cheese mixture across bottom of the pie shell
- Pick out about 15-20 (depending on size) nice strawberries that are close in size. Set them aside. Slice the remaining strawberries cross-wise to make flat slices. Layer strawberry slices over cream cheese, covering it completely.
- Trim stems off the reserved strawberries and arrange them artfully, pointy side up, over the layer of flat strawberries.
- By this time your strawberry syrup should be fairly cool. Pour it over the strawberries. I left about 2 tablespoons of sauce behind so I’d have a higher strawberry to sauce ratio, but you can use your own judgement.
- Chill the pie for about 4 hours or until set.
Cook time is the approximate chill time
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2009/07/glazed-strawberry-pie-with-cream-cheese/