|A Really Good Chocolate Bundt Cake |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
An excellent and easy chocolate cake with ganache poured over the top
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (56 grams)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar (192 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, stir well and aerate before measuring
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strong-brewed coffee
- 1 cup room temperature buttermilk
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup (10 inch) Bundt pan with flour-added baking spray. If you are using a black Bundt pan, use 325 degrees F.
- Melt chocolate in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water (or just use the microwave). Scrape it into a mixing bowl and let cool slightly. Whisk in the oil and sugar until smooth, then whisk in the egg and vanilla.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together in another bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture along with 1/2 cup of the coffee and 1/2 cup of the buttermilk; whisk until smooth. Add the remaining dry ingredients, coffee and buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the lower third of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the cake cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn it out and let cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. In a heatproof bowl, combine the remaining 3 ounces of chopped chocolate with the corn syrup and butter. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let stand until melted, about 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Let the ganache glaze cool until thick but still pourable, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the ganache over the cooled cake.Let the cake stand until the glaze is set, at least 30 minutes, before serving.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2009/08/a-really-good-chocolate-bundt-cake/