|Small Batch Boudin Brownie Recipe Copy Cat |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 38 mins
Total time: 48 mins
Brownies that are neither cakey nor too fudge-like
- 1 stick unsalted butter (4 oz) plus extra for greasing
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 1/2 large eggs – (to halve an egg, crack 1 and use 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups (3.19 ounces) flour
- 1 cup toasted, chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with foil and butter the foil.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add chocolate, turn off heat, and stir until melted from the residual heat. Let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes. You can do this in a stand mixer or with a hand-held, but I used a stand mixer since the beating time is so long. Beat in the melted chocolate (which should be slightly warm, but not piping hot at this point), vanilla and the salt. By hand stir in the flour until it is almost combined, then add the nuts and continue stirring gently until all flour disappears. I do this with a heavy scraper.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth to the edges, and bake in the center of the oven until puffed and almost set, about 38 to 40 minutes. I baked mine for 40 minutes. Worried that I overcooked them, I quick cooled them in a water bath to make double sure they wouldn’t continue cooking internally after I’d removed them from the oven. Results were great and I'd probably do this again (40 minute bake time and water-bath quick cool).
- Remove from ice water after about 30 minutes. Let cool completely. Lift from pan and cut into squares.
- Cut the brownies into 9 big squares or however many you feel like.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/01/small-batch-boudin-brownie-recipe/