|Oatmeal Cake with Streusel Topping |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
An oatmeal cake with a broiled streusel topping
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked oats, quick cooking (not instant) or rolled
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (6.7 oz)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 oz) butter -- softened (I used an I Can't Believe it Not Butter stick)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring water to a boil in a lidded saucepan. Remove from heat, stir in the oats, cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Remove cover and let sit for another 10.
- Meanwhile, stir flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, cream the butter and both sugars for about 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each egg. Beat in the vanilla and oatmeal. By hand, stir in the flour mixture.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8 inch glass pie plate and bake on center rack at 350 F for about 40 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, stir together all topping ingredients. When cake is done, spread topping over cake. Preheat the broiler and broil the cake until topping is golden and bubbly – be careful not to burn it! Cool in pan on a rack and cut into squares.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/02/oatmeal-cake-with-streusel-topping/