|Crunchy, Hearty Oatmeal Cookies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 13 mins
Total time: 23 mins
A crunchy yet light cookie. Shortening is the key to the interesting texture.
- Crunchy, Hearty Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup (4.5 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening (trans fat free)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly browned if desired
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed (I used part dark brown, part light brown)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoon molasses, corn syrup, maple syrup or some other syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups oats, old fashioned
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup coconut
- Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening, melted butter and both sugars until creamy (I used a wooden spoon). Stir in honey & syrup, egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Stir in oats, pecans and coconut.
- Using wet hands, form mixture into 3/4 to 1 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Using palm of wet hand, press down slightly to about ½ inch. Bake at 350 degrees for 11-13 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove to a rack to cool. They will crisp and firm up quite a bit as they cool.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2006/10/crunchy-hearty-oatmeal-cookies/