Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
A tall and stately carrot cake with coconut and pineapple. Nuts are optional!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (13.5 oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar or evaporated cane juice crystals
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut, I use the sweetened kind
- 1 small can crushed pineapple, drained and pressed dry
- 2 cups grated carrots
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, plus more if desired
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture gradually. Once the flour is blended, stir in the coconut, pineapple and carrots.
- Divide cake between two pans and bake for about 40-45 or until the top is brown and springs back when touched. Let cool before removing from pans.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar, scraping bowl often. Beat in the vanilla and salt.
- Taste test, and if the frosting is not sweet enough for you, add more sugar.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2006/10/moist-and-dense-carrot-cake/