|Moist and Dense Carrot Cake |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Dense and Moist Carrot Cake
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup well-drained crushed pineapple (about 1 cup before draining)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (optional)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts or pecans
Frosting: (Updated -- people said the other one was too stiff. This one is great!)
- 16 oz of softened cream cheese
- 4 oz of unsalted or salted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar (more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- milk (if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 (8 inch) round cake pans with flour-added cooking spray or spray a 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray. If using 8 inch pans, you might want to line bottom with parchment because this cake is sticky.
- In a large plastic bowl mixing bowl, stir together carrots and both sugars. Let sit for about 10 minutes; the sugar will form a juice. Stir in oil, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, pineapple and fresh ginger.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir flour mixture and toasted nuts into carrot mixture. Pour into prepared pans or pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes (13x9 inch pan might take longer) or until tester comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes, then turn from pans if using 8 inch. The cake is fairly delicate, so be careful. Cool completely and prepare frosting.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Stir in sugar, then beat until fluffy and light. Frost Cake.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2006/10/moist-and-dense-carrot-cake/