Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 28 mins
Total time: 38 mins
An easy recipe for brownies made with cocoa powder.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Dutch process cocoa (I used Hershey's Dark)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips, semi-sweet (or Hershey's Dark)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch metal pan.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave for 1 minute) and heat until mixture is very hot but not bubbling; it'll become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating the butter and sugar a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl (if you melted the butter and sugar in the mixing bowl, you don't have to transfer anything).Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder and vanilla. Add the eggs, beating till smooth; then add the flour and chips, stirring until combined. (Note: if the batter is still very warm, let it cool slightly before adding the chips, otherwise they will melt into the batter).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 28 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out dry. Remove them from the oven and after 5 minutes, loosen the edges with a table knife. This helps prevent sinking as they cool. Cool completely (and chill for better cutting) then cut and serve.
- Makes 2 dozen brownies
- Quick Notes
- Increase salt to 1 scant teaspoon if you are using unsalted butter.
- Use the best cocoa powder you can find and make sure it's Dutch for this recipe
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2006/11/kas-best-fudge-brownies-ever/