|Funfetti Cupcakes with Scratch White Cake |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 22 mins
Total time: 42 mins
Scratch white cake recipe that also makes a good base for clones of the popularFunfetti Cupcakes
- 3 1/4 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising) – 11.8 oz
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (7 oz)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar (12.25 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Colored Sprinkles (1-2 tablespoons)
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 8 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3 tablespoons whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- Have all ingredients measured out and ready to go.
- Mix the cake flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons of the sugar (from the original 1 3/4 cup) and keep beating until whites are almost stiff. If they get too stiff, they're more difficult to fold in, but you want them to have plenty of volume. With a large rubber scraper, remove the whites from the stand mixer bowl and set aside in another bowl.
- Add butter to stand mixer bowl and beat until creamy. Gradually add sugar and beat for about 5 minute, scraping sides of bowl often. Beat in salt, vanilla and almond extract (if using) and continue scraping sides.
- Beginning and ending with the flour mixture, add the flour and the milk alternately (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour). Scraping and mixing until batter is relatively smooth.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter. At this point, you can decide how you want to dress up the cupcake batter. You can add mini chocolate chips, a couple of tablespoons of sprinkles, or divide the batter among little cups and dye it with gel paste.
- Divide batter evenly among the cupcake pans and bake on center rack for 22 minutes. Let cool and spread with vanilla icing.
- To make the icing, mix the sugar and butter on low speed of an electric mixer. Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl often. Add vanilla and a tablespoon of the cream. Continue beating, scraping sides and adding cream until you get the right consistency. Taste and add salt if needed (only if using unsalted butter).
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency
The batter also makes an excellent basic white cake.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/04/funfetti-cupcake-clones-and-tie-dye-cupcakes/