|Peanut Butter and Cereal Hemp Bars |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Bar cookies made with hemp hearts
- 2 cups Special K cereal
- 1/3 Hempseeds/Hempnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (I used Jif) - if you use "natural" peanut butter, you may need to add some brown sugar to get the right sweetness.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Some chocolate chips and butterscotch chips, melted together with a tiny bit of butter
- Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with Reynolds "Release" foil or use regular foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together Special K and hemp, breaking up Special K with the back of a spoon so that it is slightly crushed. Stir in salt.
- In a separate 2 quart, microwave safe mixing bowl, combine brown rice syrup and peanut butter. Microwave for 30 seconds or until soft and hot. Add vanilla, then stir in Special K/Hemp mixture, mixing so that cereal is coated in peanut butter mixture. Scrape into loaf pan and press firmly into a rectangle.
- Transfer to refrigerator and chill for about half an hour. Remove from pan by lifting foil. Place on a cutting board and cut into bars. Drizzle with melted chocolate or leave as is. Return to refrigerator and let chocolate set. Bars will also firm up a bit more.
- Makes 6, 8, 12 or 16 depending on what your idea of a bar is.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2007/01/hemperoos/