|Favorite Chocolate Frosting |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 1 min
Total time: 11 mins
This is one of my favorite chocolate frostings. It become firm when refrigerated, so make sure you bring your cake to room temperature before cutting. Also, make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted or salted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar (3 1/2 cups unsifted) or about 1 pound
- 1/4 cup milk plus more if needed — can use buttermilk or half & half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch or two of salt if using unsalted butter
- Melt both chocolates in microwave or double boiler. Set aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Beat the butter until creamy. Stir in the cocoa power and a cup of the powdered sugar.
- Add the cooled melted chocolate. Scrape sides of bowl and beat well.
- Add remaining powdered sugar, then add milk, vanilla and salt, beating and scraping creamy and smooth.
Make sure ingredients aren't too cool.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/04/favorite-chocolate-frosting/