|Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Toasted Coconut Cookies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Toasted Coconut Cookies
- 1 1/3 cups packed angel flake sweetened shredded coconut (5 1/2 oz)
- 4 oz pecans, toasted and chopped
- 8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cool room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour (spoon and sweet or fluff, scoop and level)
- 2 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups dark or bittersweet chocolate chips or 12 oz coarsely chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toast the pecans and coconut. For the coconut, spread it on a rimmed cookie sheet or in a large baking pan and set it on lower rack of oven. Arrange the pecans on a second sheet and place on middle rack. Bake both pans together for 8-10 minute, checking and stirring the coconut every 3 minutes or so. The pecans should be ready in 8 minutes and the coconut will be ready when it starts to turn golden around the edges.
- If baking cookies right away, raise heat to 375 degrees F.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add both sugars and beat for 2-3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl. Beat in vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Reduce speed of mixer, add eggs and beat until just until they are blended in. Scrape bowl again and add flour. Mix at low speed (or by hand) until blended. Stir in oats, toasted coconut, chocolate, and nuts
- Using about a 1/4 cup measure, scoop up dough to form mounds. Chill the shaped balls/mounds until ready to bake. When ready to bake, arrange mounds 3 inches apart on parchment lined sheet, press down to about 1/2 inch and bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes, turning once. These cookies go from pale to overcooked fairly quickly, so remove from oven when edges are browned and centers are still slightly pale. Mine are usually done in 14 minutes.
- Makes about 24 large cookies
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/05/chocolate-chunk-oatmeal-toasted-coconut-cookies/