Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Chocolate Butter Cake
- 2 cups cake flour (8 oz)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature
Chocolate Buttermilk Frosting
- 1 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 oz) unsalted or salted butter, room temperature (important)
- 3 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar (3 ½ cups unsifted)
- 3-4 T.buttermilk (or regular milk plus more if needed) -- room temperature NOT cold
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch or two of salt -- if using salted butter, omit
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray 2 8-inch round cake pans with flour-added cooking spray. Line bottoms with rounds of parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl and stir very well to combine. Add the soft butter and buttermilk and blend on low (I used a stand mixer with a paddle) until smooth.
- Whisk the eggs, vanilla and cooled coffee together in another bowl and add to the batter in 3 additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl and mixing until blended. Try not to beat a lot of air into the egg mixture as you add it – just stir well. Scrape bottom of bowl and make sure to mix in all batter.
- Divide the batter among the pans and bake on center rack for 38 to 44 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for about 5 minutes, the turn invert onto wire racks to cool completely. Remove parchment when cool.
- Chocolate Frosting: Melt both chocolates in microwave, double boiler or bowl set over barely simmering water; set aside to cool.
- Beat the butter until creamy. Make sure it's not too cold or it might cause the chocolate to re-solidify. Stir in the cocoa power, about a cup of the powdered sugar, and the cooled melted chocolate. Scrape sides of bowl and beat well; add remaining powdered sugar, then add room temperature milk, vanilla and salt, beating and scraping until you get the consistency you like.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/05/chocolate-butter-cake/