Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 120 mins
Total time: 2 hours 30 mins
An authentic Kolache recipe with a cream cheese filling
- 3 pkgs dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 3/4 cups milk (scald and cool to lukewarm)
- 7 1/4 cups flour (more or less as needed)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Cream Cheese Filling
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- grated rind of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dissolve yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar and set aside to proof.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream sugar and butter. Add egg yolks and salt and mix well. Add the dissolved yeast, 1 cup of the flour and mix slowly with an electric mixer. Add the milk and continue adding as much of the remaining flour either with a spoon or with the mixer on low. Dough should be moderately soft and neither sticky nor too dry. You may use more flour, you may use less.
- Attach the dough hook and knead with the dough hook for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Rub an empty mixing bowl with butter, put the dough in it, cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down and turn out onto lightly floured surface. Pinch off egg size portions and roll into a ball using the palm of your hands in circular motion.
- Grease two or three rimmed baking sheets. Place the dough pieces about 1 inch apart and brush with melted butter.
- Spray a piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray, cover loosely and let rise for an hour.
- While rising, mix together ingredients for the Posypka Topping and the cream cheese filling.
- Make an indentation in each risen ball and fill with filling. Sprinkle with posypka topping and let rise again for 20 minutes. Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for about 10-15 minutes. Brush kolaches with melted butter as they come out of the oven.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2007/04/we-gotcha-kolache/