Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 160 mins
Total time: 2 hours 50 mins
Dessert bars made with a lemon flavored cheesecake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 scant teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 packed teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- few drops of yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
Topping: 1/2 cup sour cream or 3/4 cup freshly whipped cream sweetened with 1 1/2 T. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready an 8 inch metal pan. For convenience, I lined mine with non-stick foil.
- Combine flour, powdered sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl or bowl of food processor. Cut in butter with pastry blender or use the food processor and pulse until crumbly. Press into prepared pan and bake for 18-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Combine cream cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Beat in the evaporated milk, then stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. Add the egg and beat just until smooth (do not overbeat after adding the egg). Stir in the flour. Alternately, you can do this in the food processor or in a blender.
- Pour mixture over crust and bake for an additional 15 minute or until set. Cool in pan set on a wire rack. Chill until very cold. Spread with sour cream or sweetened whipped cream. If you’ve lined the pan with foil, you can now lift the bars from the pan, set on a cutting board and cut into bars or squares. Makes 12-16
Cook time also includes the chill time. It's just an estimate.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/06/lemon-cheesecake-squares/