Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
An easy chocolate muffin recipe made with self-rising (self-raising) flour
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (110 grams) self rising flour
- 3 tablespoons (14 grams) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons (71 grams) salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 3 oz (84 grams) evaporated milk (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips**
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 6 muffin cups with large paper liners
- Mix flour, cocoa and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk butter, egg, evaporated milk and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon the mixture evenly into prepared muffin cups. Put muffins in the oven on center rack.
- Reduce heat to 350 F.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with most crumbs. Cool on a wire rack
**These muffins aren’t extremely sweet, so they really do need the chocolate chips
UPDATE: I tested these again and added 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. With the extra 2 tablespoons, the muffins were sweet -- not overly so, but more dessert-like. If you know you like sweet muffins, you may want to add the extra brown sugar. I wouldn't add over 2 T.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/06/easy-chocolate-muffins/