|Welcome Home Sugar Cookies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
A classic relatively soft sugar cookie recipe. Not cakey -- just soft, dense and crumbly.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cool room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 1/2 cups (11.25 oz) all purpose unbleached flour – fluff up very well, scoop, level
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the cool butter until creamy. Add the salt (if using) and powdered sugar and beat until light. Beat in the vanilla and almond extract. Scrape sides of bowl, beat a little more, than lower speed of mixer and beat in the egg. Scrape sides of bowl. With mixer on medium low, add the baking soda and cream of tartar. By hand or using lowest speed of mixer, gradually add the flour.
- Remove dough from pan and divide into two big balls. At this point, I like to roll or press each ball out onto a sheet of non-stick foil or parchment. Press to a thickness of around ¼ inch. Lay dough flat on a cookie sheet and chill the flattened dough until it’s firm enough to cut. You can cut it with cutters or just use a round glass.
- Arrange cut cookies on a foil or parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until edges are nicely browned.
- Makes about 2 dozen depending on how big you cut your cookies
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/07/welcome-home-sugar-cookies/