|Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Scones |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 17 mins
Total time: 27 mins
Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (9 oz)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold and cut into bits
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix flour, both sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Scatter the cut up butter over flour mixture and using your fingers or a pastry cutter or fork, work the butter into the flour until flour mixture is very coarse.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Add the chips. When dough just starts to come together, turn it onto a clean surface and shape it into a 7 inch circle. If you prefer, you can make 2 rectangles. Slice the circle into 8 triangles or slice each rectangle into 4 triangles. Arrange triangles a few inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature. This recipe makes 6 to 8 scones. I made 8, so if you make 6 they will be larger and might need extra time in the oven.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/07/sour-cream-chocolate-chip-scones/