|Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Brownies with a layer of cookie dough running through them. If you have some brownie mix on hand, you can substitute brownie mix brownies for the bottom layer. If you use this recipe, you'll get rather thick brownies. For thinner brownies with a higher ratio of cookie dough to brownie, make 3/4 of the base recipe but keep the filling and topping the same.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 scant teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups (6.8 oz) all purpose flour, lightly spooned and swept
- 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil or non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch pan with nonstick foil.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in sugar and cook gently, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute or until sugar melts and mixture takes on a nice sheen.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder until smooth. Stir in the salt and baking powder.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes, then stir in the salt and baking powder. Stir in the eggs (one by one), then add the vanilla, flour and chocolate chips (make sure batter is cool before adding chips).
- Spread batter in pan and bake for 25 minutes or until brownies are set. Let brownies cool on a rack for at least a half hour.
- Prepare filling. Beat together butter, salt (if using), both sugars, milk and vanilla. Add flour and stir until flour is incorporated. Spread this mixture over cooled brownies and place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes to help firm up dough. Alternative, you can press the mixture into a 13x9 inch rectangle between two sheets of plastic wrap, then carefully invert it onto the brownies.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or in a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter. If using a microwave, combine chocolate and butter and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until melted. Spread melted chocolate mixture over cookie dough. Sprinkle walnuts over top. Allow chocolate to set, then lift from pan and cut into bars.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2007/05/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-brownies/