Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
Vegan banana bread recipe
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour ( 9 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus a little pinch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or organic sugar**
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Some nuts for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Rub a loaf pan with oil and line with a rectangle of parchment.
- Mix together the soy milk and vinegar; set aside for about 2 minutes.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Beat together the oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar, then beat in the bananas – you can mash them ahead of time or let the paddle attachment of the stand mixer do the work for you. I just chunked the bananas in with the oil & sugar and beat them that way. Continue beating on high until very light. Reduce speed to low and add milk/vinegar mixture. By hand, stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture, being careful not to overbeat. I like stirring flour mixture in with a heavy duty scraper. Sprinkle some nuts on top if using.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool on a rack for about 15 minutes then flip from pan. Makes 1 awesome loaf.
**Every so often I get a comment from someone saying that most refined sugar is processed with bone-char and that it’s better to use a non-refined sugar. Most vegans already know this and are aware of the alternatives, but the subject is worthy of some research for anyone interested in that kind of diet. I found this information from Vegan Action very sensible. If I were serving this to a group of vegans I didn't know very well, I'd definitely go with some sort of unrefined sugar instead of granulated. One of my favorites is evaporated cane juice crystals which measure like regular sugar and have a great flavor all their own.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/07/easy-vegan-banana-bread/