|Best Chocolate Cream Pie Yet |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
The best ever chocolate cream pie! Try it and see if you agree.
- 1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ¼ cups whole milk (I used 2% and it worked fine)
- 8 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate (Lindt 70%), chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2-3 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Rub a 9 inch pie dish with butter. In a bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Add the softened butter and stir until mixture it moist. Press into bottom and up sides of pie dish. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks together in a mixing bowl and set the bowl next to stove.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, stir together sugar, cornstarch, and salt, then whisk in the 3 1/4 cups milk. Bring to a simmer.
- Whisk about 1/2 cup hot milk mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks, then pour the egg yolks back into the saucepan. Whisk and stir until mixture thickens, then continue whisking for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate, vanilla, and the 2 teaspoons butter.
- Pour chocolate filling into a medium metal bowl, then set bowl in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and let cool 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until filling reaches room temperature. Pour filling into prepared crust and cover with plastic wrap or a piece of well-buttered foil, pressing it directly onto surface to prevent skin from forming. Chill until cold, at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
- Just before serving (or you can do this as soon as the pie is cold), whip the cream and spread freshly whipped, sweetened cream (or whipped topping) over top.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/08/best-chocolate-cream-pie-yet/