Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
- 2 sticks (8 oz) salted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream, room temperature
- 5-6 cups flour (until desired consistency for rolling) -- I used 6
- 2 large egg whites (large), pasteurized
- 4 oz salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening, softened
- 4 ½ cups of powdered sugar.
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and continue beating until creamy and light.
- Add eggs one by one, beating until incorporated. Beat in vanilla, baking soda and baking powder.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Add the flour and mix until incorporated.
- Put half the dough in the refrigerator until ready to use. Roll the remaining dough about 1/4 inch thick and cut into small circles. Arrange on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are lightly brown around the edges. Bake one sheet at a time until dough is gone.
- Frosting: Put the whites in the bowl of the standing mixer and begin beating. You can use the paddle or the whisk attachment for this. Add the butter and shortening and beat on high. Stir in half of the sugar. Beat until creamy, then add remaining sugar and flavorings. Continue beating until light and creamy. Spread on cookies
For best results, weigh your flour. 1 cup should be about 4.5 ounces on a scale, so if you use 5 cups you'll use about 22.5 ounces of flour. I used 6 cups, which was 27 ounces. If you don't have a scale, make sure to stir and fluff up your flour before using. If you pack it into the cup, you'll use too much and the cookies might be a little dry.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/08/lofthouse-cookie-clone/