Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 23 mins
Total time: 33 mins
Recipe for a one layer red velvet cake made with self-rising flour.
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour (165 grams)
- 1 tablespoon natural (not dark) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine or any type of regular vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar (144 grams)
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 oz butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x2 inch round cake pan or a 9x2 inch springform pan with flour-added cooking spray. If you’re using a springform pan, put some aluminum foil under it and bring it tightly up the sides to prevent possible leakage.
- Mix the flour, cocoa and baking soda together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring together in a liquid measuring cup and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, oil and sugar. Using a heavy duty scraper or large spoon, add the flour mixture and milk mixture to the egg mixture alternately in three parts, stirring until flour is mixed in.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a pick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then carefully remove from pan. If using a springform, you can remove the sides and invert.
- Let cool completely.
- To make frosting, mix together the cream cheese and butter. Gradually add the sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat until creamy. Beat in the vanilla.
- To make a layer cake, cut the cake round in half. Ice one half. Stack second half on top and ice the whole half-cake.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/08/red-velvet-half-cake/