|Peanut Butter Mud Hen Bars |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Peanut butter flavored bar cookies with a layer of meringue across the top
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup brown sugar (divided use)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 2.25 oz (spoon and sweep)
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with foil and spray with baking spray or grease well and dust with flour.
- Mix together the butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons of the brown sugar, vanilla and egg yolk. Add flour and stir just until mixed. Stir in the peanuts. Spread batter across bottom of prepared pan using wet fingers.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and marshmallows evenly over the batter and press lightly.
- Beat the egg white until stiff and beat in the brown sugar. Spread egg white mixture over marshmallow mixture (I stopped about 1/4 inch from the edges of pan leaving edges uncovered) and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until meringue is brown.
- Cool in pan set on a wire rack for a few hours. Lift foil from pan and cut into squares. At this point, I recommend chilling the bars/squares for a while. They're easier to cut when cold, and should you decided to cut them into even smaller squares, it will be easier.
- Makes 16 squares (of which some will be crusty edges).
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/08/peanut-butter-mud-hen-bars/