|John's Amish Sugar Cookies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 22 mins
Cookie recipe that's supposed to be similar to Lofthouse. I don't think it is, but the cookies are very good.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter or use 1/2 cup unsalted plus 3/8 scant teaspoon salt**
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, preferably not canola
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour (8 oz), bleached for fatter & whiter
- 1/2 c. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla plus any other flavorings you like (almond, orange)
- 1-3 tablespoons whole milk
- Pinch salt if using unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream the sugar, confectioners sugar, butter and oil. Reduce speed of mixer and beat in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cream of tartar and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture. Batter should be too soft to roll, but thicker than actual batter. You can bake the cookies immediately or chill the dough until you’re ready. Chilled dough is easier to work with.
- When ready to bake, scoop up tablespoons of dough and shape into 1 inch (ish) balls. Place each ball in a cupcake wrapper lined muffin tin and bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies appear done. Let cool completely. The cookies are very tender, so I froze mine before icing. Ice the frozen cookies. Keep in a covered container.
- Makes about 2 ½ dozen cookies
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/08/johns-amish-sugar-cookies/