|State Fair Winning Chocolate Banana Brownies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Gloria’s State Fair Chocolate-Banana Brownies
- 5 oz semi sweet chocolate (or a little less that 1 cup chips)
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate (or 3 tablespoons chips)
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 t vanilla (optional) – Gloria leaves it out, anna added ½ tsp
- 1/2 of a small banana-well mashed
- 3/4 cup sifted flour
- 1 T unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter, add an extra pinch)
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted chopped pecans
- handful of broken Oreos or some Mini Oreos (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray cooking spray on bottom only of an 8 inch metal pan. Gloria noted that for the fair, she used non-stick foil to line the pan.
- Mix flour, cocoa, and salt together and set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, and banana in a separate bowl-stir until combined. I did this with a fork.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium low heat, then reduce heat to low and add 5 oz and 1 oz of chocolates. Cook and stir over low until smooth. Cool 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate to sugar egg/banana mixture-stir until combined.
- Stir in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in that last 1/2 cup chips and nuts (and Oreos, if using). Bake 35-40 min, check at 35 (Anna’s note: I baked a full 45 min)
- Cool completely before cutting. Anna’s note: I like to chill before cutting
- Yield: Obviously, this makes 1 8 inch pan. How many brownies you get is up to you. I cut mine into 9 giant squares, but if you chill the brownies before slicing, you should be able to cut the brownies as small as you’d like. You might even want to try cutting 36 squares and serving them in mini cupcake holders.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/08/state-fair-winning-chocolate-banana-brownies/