Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 75 mins
Total time: 1 hour 35 mins
Bright red cheesecake.
- 1 1/2 cups Oreo Crumbs or chocolate graham cracker crumbs or regular graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 (1-ounce) bottles red food coloring
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- Stir together crumbs, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; press mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Beat 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar at medium-low speed with an electric mixer 1 minute. Add eggs and next 6 ingredients, mixing on low speed just until fully combined. Pour batter into prepared crust.
- Bake at 325° for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300°, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until center is firm. Run knife along outer edge of cheesecake. Turn oven off. Let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Beat 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread evenly over top of cheesecake. Remove sides of springform pan. Garnish, if desired.
- This recipe was created by Rhonda Y. Coker of Columbia, South Carolina and appeared in the Southern Living issue dated December 2004.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2007/06/red-velvet-cheesecake/