Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Scones made with oatmeal and flavored with cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (2.25 oz)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (2.25 oz)
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (double if using unsalted butter)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar (light brown okay)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons half & half
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Cinnamon sugar
- Mix the flours, oats, salt, baking powder and cinnamon together thoroughly. Stir in the sugar and mix well.
- Cut the butter in with a pastry cutter or your fingers (food processor would be okay too) until the mixture resembles small crumbs. Add the half & half and stir well. I used the full amount, but you might want to start with just 3/4 cup to make sure the dough is still firm enough to handle. Dough should be soft, but not so soft that you can’t shape it into a circle.
- Dump though dough out onto a piece of parchment paper and shape it into an 8 inch circle a little less than an inch thick. Wetting your hands lightly very will help with this part. Score the dough into 6 triangles but don’t separate them yet. Put the circle of triangles on a plate and freeze for a few hours or until stiff. When stiff, separate the triangles and put in a freezer bag.
- When you are ready to bake the scones, remove from the bag and set on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rub scones with a mixture of egg and milk if desired or just brush with some half half. You can also sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar if you like.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/09/oatmeal-cinnamon-scones/