Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
A very basic but delicious coconut cream pie. For the crust, you can use a homemade graham cracker crust or a 9 inch blind-baked crust.
- 9 inch pie crust, frozen or homemade, blind baked
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons butter, sliced thinly off the stick
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Toasted coconut for garnish
- Thoroughly mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Pour the milk and cream in a heavy saucepan, then whisk the sugar mixture into the cream until it’s free of any lumps.
- Whisk the egg yolks in the bowl you used to mix the sugar and set it next to the stove.
- Turn the heat on to medium and whisk the milk mixture until it begins to bubble and is very hot. When hot, whisk about ¼ cup of the hot milk mixture into the bowl of egg yolks, then whisk the rest of the milk into the egg yolks. Pour the egg yolk/milk mixture back in the saucepan, whisking all the while. Continue to whisk until mixture thickens and boils. Reduce heat to a low boil and whisk and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in coconut and vanilla, then pour into the baked pie crust.
- Arrange thin slices of butter over the hot pie filling and let them melt, making a thin layer of butter that coats the surface. Let cool for about an hour at room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator. Chill for a few hours. Prepare whipped cream topping.
- Beat the cream until peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Spread over pie. Chill until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut over top for garnish.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/09/great-coconut-cream-pie/