Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Milk Chocolate Pudding
- 5 ounces milk chocolate (I used Ghirardelli Luxe)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk (divided use)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place chocolate in a bowl a small mixing bowl.
- In a second mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt; whisk in egg yolks and 1/2 cup milk until smooth.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring remaining 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream to a simmer. Pour hot milk mixture into bowl with chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot chocolate mixture into egg mixture until completely incorporated and cocoa is dissolved.
- Return custard to saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat, until thickened, about 10 minutes (Mine was thick in five, at which point I reduced the heat to low and cooked it another minute or two). Do not let mixture reach a simmer. If custard begins to steam heavily, stir it, off the heat, a moment before returning it to stove top. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Stir in vanilla.
- Lay a piece of waxed paper or parchment over the pudding and let it cool for about 30 minutes at room temperature. Transfer to refrigerator to chill.
- When pudding is chilled, whip the cream until peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Layer pudding in glasses with the whipped cream.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/10/milk-chocolate-pudding/