|Perfect Recipe Baking Book -- Murray Jaffe's Perfect Brownies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Murray’s Perfect Brownies are an easy cocoa based brownie recipe.
- 4 ounces (1 stick) salted butter, room temperature **
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cocoa – measure then sift after measuring
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt **
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- Line an 8 inch square metal pan with foil and spray bottom with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Position rack to center.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Beat in the sugar until mixed in. Beat in the eggs (just until mixed -- don't beat in a lot of air), then add the cocoa and mix until smooth. Thoroughly blend together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes (important ). Add the water and vanilla and mix, then mix in the walnuts. Dough will be stilff and sticky.
- Spread dough in pan and bake for 30 40 minutes (I baked for 30) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without batter on it.
- Let cool for a few hours, then lift from pan and cut into 16 squares.
**Murray uses salted butter. I used unsalted and increased the salt in the recipe by 1/4 scant teaspoon to make 1/2 scant teaspoon.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/10/murray-jaffes-perfect-brownies/