Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Biscuits made with cornmeal and whole wheat flour.
- 1 cup (5 oz) whole yellow cornmeal)
- 1 cup (4 oz) white whole wheat flour (I used regular whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Optional: Some sesame seeds, flax, and/or poppyseeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment.
- Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients (cornmeal through salt) in a mixing bowl. Cut in the butter – you can do this with a pastry cutter or your fingers. Mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, stir the milk and maple syrup together. Add to the dry mixture and stir just until moistened. Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheet. Press down lightly with fingers to make the biscuits more even looking. If you have some seeds on hand, sprinkle sesame, flax and/or poppy seeds on top for garnish. Bake on center rack at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Serve warm.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/10/cornmeal-maple-biscuits/