Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Southern style pralines
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons dark Karo syrup
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves (I toast the pecans first)
- Butter the sides of a heavy saucepan. Place the sugar, salt, corn syrup, milk, and butter in saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until sugars have dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Continue to cook to a soft ball stage, approximately 236 degrees F on candy thermometer, stirring very often (watch your heat. If it gets to hot, the candy could boil over. Remove from heat and allow candy to cool for 10 minutes in pan. (Note: I had to let it rest for at least 20. At 10 minutes, it was still to droopy to add the vanilla and pecans.
- Add the vanilla and nuts, and beat with a spoon by hand for approximately 2 minutes or until candy is slightly thick and begins to lose its gloss. Quickly drop heaping tablespoons onto waxed paper. If the candy becomes stiff, add a few drops of hot water.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2007/07/paulas-pecan-pralines/