|Caramel Cream Pie with Candied Almonds |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 360 mins
Total time: 6 hours 20 mins
A caramel flavored cream pie topped with candied almonds.
- 1 9 inch unbaked deep-dish pie crust
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin (1 packet = 1 tablespoon -- see note at bottom)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 (14 oz) package of caramels (such as Kraft), unwrapped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, whipped to make about 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Optional: caramel syrup and whipped cream for garnishing
- Bake pie crust as directed on package or prepare your own pie crust, blind bake it and allow it to cool completely.
- Place 1/4 cup of water in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1 packet of gelatin over water and let it sit for 5 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine caramel and milk. Heat over medium-low, stirring often, until caramels melt and mixture is smooth. Stir in gelatin. Transfer to a bowl and chill for 60 minutes or until it is slightly thickened (it will not be super thick....just slightly thicker than before).
- Fold the caramel mixture into the bowl of whipped cream. Pour into pie shell - it will go up to the very top. Chill for 4 hours or until set.
- Before serving, prepare the candied almonds. In a large skillet, stir together the sugar and almonds. Cook the almonds, stirring constantly, over medium heat. The sugar will start to melt and caramelize....be patient, because it takes at least 5 minutes. Continue stirring and watching almonds. When the almonds become golden brown, spoon them out onto a sheet of foil to cool and crisp. When ready to serve, break the almonds apart and sprinkle on pie.
Final Note: Todd loved this pie and the flavor was great. My only complaint it that with 1 tablespoon of gelatin, it is a little too stiff for my liking. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, however, I plan on testing the recipe with 2 teaspoons of gelatin rather than 1 tablespoon.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2007/07/caramel-cream-pie-with-candied-almonds/