|Orange Cranberry Swirl Muffins |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 22 mins
Total time: 32 mins
Muffins made with leftover cranberry sauce
- 1 1/2 cups flour (6.8 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 scant cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest, loosely packed
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (or so -- doesn't have to be precise) leftover cranberry sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 6 (or 9) muffin cups with flour-added cooking spray.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; Set aside. In a large or medium size mixing bowl, mix the sugar and orange zest together with your fingers or a spoon until the sugar turns orange. Add the softened butter and beat with a hand held mixer until mixed, then add egg and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- With a mixing spoon or a heavy duty scraper (I do all my mixing with a spatula scraper), stir in half of the flour mixture. Stir until almost blended then stir in the orange juice and remaining flour mixture. Stir until flour is mixed in then mix in the sour cream, being careful not to overbeat the muffin batter.
- Spoon just enough muffin batter into each cup to cover the bottom (about 2 tablespoons – slightly less if you’re making 9). Spoon a rounded teaspoon of cranberry sauce over muffin batter. Add a second layer of muffin batter and a second layer of cranberry sauce. Top muffins with a final layer of batter – it will be stiff and come up over the top of the muffin pan. Drizzle a little cranberry sauce over top, but try to keep it from getting on the pan where it will stick. Bake at 375 for 22 minutes-24 minutes. Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then carefully remove from pan.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/11/orange-cranberry-swirl-muffins/