Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Kolache (dough and Posypka adapted from A World of Cake)
- 1 cup milk, warmed – whole is probably a better choice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 ½ cups (1 pound) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- Combine 1/3 cup of the milk and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in a small bowl and stir to dissolve sugar. Stir in the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the remaining 2/3 cup of milk, remaining sugar, egg, butter, salt and the yeast mixture into the well and mix until smooth. Form the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover and place in a warm spot to rise until doubled in size – about 2 hours.
- Make the posypka. Combine the butter, sugar and flour in a bowl and mix until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Make the filling. Beat together softened cream cheese and sugar. Beat in lemon juice. Reduce speed to low and beat in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Bake. When the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two baking sheets (I just used parchment). Punch down the dough to get rid of air. Scoop out 2-inch balls of dough (mine were larger) and drop them onto a floured work surface. Roll each scoop of dough into a ball, then press them down into a disk or a square. Press a finger into the center of each disk and fill the indentation with 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling. Place the disks on the baking sheets 2 inches apart. Let rise for 10 minteus Brush tops lightly with melted butter. Sprinkle the posypka on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from sheet and let cool. Makes about 15 to 20, depending on how big you make the rolls.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/12/kolache/