|Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Filling and Coconut Cream Frosting |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
An excellent and very simple chocolate cake with a raspberry filling and super easy sour cream frosting.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa ( used Valrhona Dutch)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup (more or less as desired) raspberry pie filling
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut (flakes, chips or shredded)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Coat two 8 x 2-in. round cake pans with flour-added cooking spray. Line bottoms with wax paper or parchment; spray the paper. Dust with flour ( didn’t dust with flour).
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, granulated and brown sugars, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together milk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the boiling water to the batter and mix well to combine (the batter will be thin). Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If using pie filing, split the layers horizontally and fill split layers with pie filling.
- Beat the heavy cream, sour cream and confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Place one of the filled cakes on a platter and spread 1 cup frosting over the top. Top with the remaining cake and frost with the remaining icing. Gently pat the coconut all over the cake. Serve immediately or refrigerate, up to 1 day.
Try with cherry pie filling.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/12/chocolate-cake-with-raspberry-filling-and-coconut-cream-frosting/