Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (9 oz)
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ of a (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast (about 1 ½ teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted butter for brushing
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Place flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and yeast into the bowl of a stand mixer. In a bowl, whisk together egg, melted butter, warm milk, and vanilla extract; pour into the flour mixture. Using dough hook attachment, mix on low until the flour is moistened and a dough forms, then increase speed to medium, and continue kneading until smooth and elastic, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place dough into a greased bowl, cover, and allow it to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a floured work surface. Roll into a 1/3 inch thick rectangle (mine was about 10-12) and brush with melted butter. Mix together cinnamon and brown sugar, then sprinkle evenly over rectangle.
- Roll firmly into a log, pinch the ends closed, and tuck them underneath. Place into a greased loaf pan (I used a metal 9x5 inch). Cover, and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes. Note: In my case, the log was much narrower than the loaf pan, but during the baking process it spread enough to fill it up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Brush the top of the loaf with melted butter, then bake in preheated oven until golden brown, and sound hollow when tapped, about 30 minutes.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/01/cinnamon-swirl-bread/