Created by Gigi Burton, this recipe was the grand prize winner in a contest sponsored by Ghirardelli. I still haven’t made it, so let me know if you try it. I may try making a half version in a 6 inch cake pan.
Gigi's Triple Chocolate Truffle Cake
- 3 cups Ghirardelli Semisweet Chocolate Chips 18 oz
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 8 large eggs chilled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips
- 2 ounces Ghirardelli White Chocolate baking bar chilled
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan and line with parchment. .
- Melt the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler or in the microwave using 50% power and stirring 30 second to 60 second intervals.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, whip the eggs and salt on medium speed until doubled in volume, about 5 minutes. Gently fold the whipped eggs, a third at a time, into the melted chocolate. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Prepare a water bath for the cake by placing the cake pan in a larger pan, and filling the large pan halfway up the sides of the cake pan with hot, but not boiling water.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and is set in the center. Remove the pan from the water bath to a cooling rack, and cool the cake completely in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. To remove the cake from the pan, dip the pan in warm water halfway up the sides and run a thin metal spatula around the inside of the pan. Invert onto a plate to unmold and remove the parchment paper.
- To prepare the ganache, bring the heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Pour the heated cream over the milk chocolate chips. Stir gently until smooth and allow to cool slightly. When the ganache is still warm to the touch, pour over the top of cake and spread with an offset spatula to evenly cover (There will be some ganache leftover.)
- Chill the cake until the ganache sets, about 30 minutes. To garnish, grate the white chocolate bar on top of cake.